I had a really great time in Sri Lanka. I completely fell in love with the people, the culture, the animals and the landscapes. I could definitely see myself living there. Maybe I could build two homes - one in the hillside and one on the beach...I could open up a couple businesses, drink tea, lay on the beach...live a dreamy life :)
But now, I am India. I landed in Bangalore on the 29th, stayed a few days, then headed to Mysore where I am now. I'm trying to stay positive about this country, but I have to say that its been pretty difficult to do. Aside from the noise, millions of cars, garbage everywhere, starving stray dogs, run down buildings, and pollution - the culture has been the most challenging to get used to, particularly the men. They clearly have no respect for women and they have no problem letting me know - they push their way in front of lines, completely ignore me when I speak, especially if I am with another man, and they stand as though they own the sidewalk, the street and everything else you might need to use. No gentlemen here - at least none I've met so far. I also ALWAYS feel like everyone is trying to scam me - whether it's for 3 rupees from the waiter, 300 rupees from the drivers, or 1000 rupees from shops, everyone seems to have a scam going and they're really good at making it seem as though they're being sincere. India lesson 1 - don't trust anyone!
OK, enough with the complaining. I got a couple beautiful saris and some silk scarves yesterday. I have been wanting a sari for forever, so I can't wait to wear it.
Tomorrow I'm taking a tour bus to Ooty where I'll stay for a few days before making my way further southwest to Kerala.
I've been having some serious trouble uploading pictures on to this blog, so take a look at my Facebook page to see my pictures.
But now, I am India. I landed in Bangalore on the 29th, stayed a few days, then headed to Mysore where I am now. I'm trying to stay positive about this country, but I have to say that its been pretty difficult to do. Aside from the noise, millions of cars, garbage everywhere, starving stray dogs, run down buildings, and pollution - the culture has been the most challenging to get used to, particularly the men. They clearly have no respect for women and they have no problem letting me know - they push their way in front of lines, completely ignore me when I speak, especially if I am with another man, and they stand as though they own the sidewalk, the street and everything else you might need to use. No gentlemen here - at least none I've met so far. I also ALWAYS feel like everyone is trying to scam me - whether it's for 3 rupees from the waiter, 300 rupees from the drivers, or 1000 rupees from shops, everyone seems to have a scam going and they're really good at making it seem as though they're being sincere. India lesson 1 - don't trust anyone!
OK, enough with the complaining. I got a couple beautiful saris and some silk scarves yesterday. I have been wanting a sari for forever, so I can't wait to wear it.
Tomorrow I'm taking a tour bus to Ooty where I'll stay for a few days before making my way further southwest to Kerala.
I've been having some serious trouble uploading pictures on to this blog, so take a look at my Facebook page to see my pictures.
Sometimes you have to get there first to truly know where you don't wanna be. Keep your head up, take the good with the bad, it's all part of the adventure! And Im sure a swift kick in the nuts will teach those guys out there how to treat a lady! <3
ReplyDelete